The Viking and Anglo-Saxon struggle for the Kingdom of England
We are delighted to be working alongside history specialist Stuart Tiffany (Mr T Does History) to provide this primary KS2 history Key to the National Curriculum resource. This unit encourages children to investigate and comprehend the Viking and Anglo-Saxon struggle for the Kingdom of England to the time of Edward the Confessor.
Following the National Curriculum, this module will help children to understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance, and use them to make connections, draw contrasts, analyse trends, frame historically-valid questions and create their own structured accounts, including written narratives and analyses.
Your children will learn about…
- The complete picture of Viking culture.
- Understanding the Vikings were more than just raiders
- the shift from raiding to conquering and settling
- the struggle for England including the role of Alfred’s children, Aethelflaed and Edward
- the complexity of succession during this period
- the link between the Saxon and Viking conflict and the Norman Conquest
and will love the engaging worksheets and activities investigating…
- The chronology of the Anglo-Saxon and Viking periods by interactively looking at the two timelines running concurrently
- what the Anglo Saxons would need to do to reclaim the land lost to the Vikings by having a class debate
- the direct links between the Vikings and the wider world
- using maps to identify the land conquered by the Vikings at the time Alfred came to the throne
- which of Alfred’s actions were the most significant in maintaining an independent Wessex and why he should be known as ‘the Great’
- how Britain was split into Wessex, Mercia and the Danelaw.
- the difference between a burh (a fortified town) and a castle by making a replica model or a design of one to understand the significance it would be for trade and defence
which in turn will help them to…..
- Make chronological and contextual links between new and existing learning
- sequence the history of this period
- combine sources to reach a conclusion
- identify key events in this historical timeframe
- Use evidence when writing conclusions
These are just a few examples of what The Vikings and Anglo-Saxons key unlocks!
Purchase today to get access to the planning leaflet, worksheets, video links and suggested activities and be ready to deliver engaging KS2 primary history to your children today!
Simply add to your basket, checkout and await your (FREE for UK) delivery.
Got any questions? Get in touch to talk through with us.
Price excludes VAT.