The Mayan civilisation
We are delighted to be working alongside history specialist Stuart Tiffany (Mr T Does History) to provide this primary KS2 history Key to the National Curriculum resource. This unit encourages children to investigate and comprehend Mayan Civilisation c.AD 900.
Following the National Curriculum, this module will help children to understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance, and use them to make connections, draw contrasts, analyse trends, frame historically-valid questions and create their own structured accounts, including written narratives and analyses.
Your children will learn about…
- Making links between previous learning and The Maya
- how the Mayan civilisation was governed in comparison to other periods studied
- the technology (materials, resources) The Maya were able to use
- the achievements of The Maya and the skills of civilisations from across the world.
- Making a direct comparison between The Maya and the concurrent British history.
and will love the engaging worksheets and activities investigating…
- The context for this unit using timeline cards
- how to identify key sites for The Maya including UNESCO World Heritage Sites and how to plot the sites on a map to establish their location in the rainforest
- the role of kings and priests in society in different cities
- different jobs in Ancient Maya and why we tend to know more about the priests and kings
- photographs of the weapons and tools used and how to identify different materials such as obsidian
- Mayan achievements, how they made a difference and if a version is still used today
which in turn will help them to…..
- Make chronological and contextual links between new and existing learning
- extract relevant information from a range of sources
- understand and explain what an achievement is
- identify social hierarchies
- Recognise similarities and differences between two concurrent periods of history, using evidence to draw contrasts and trends
These are just a few examples of what The Maya key unlocks!
Purchase today to get access to the planning leaflet, worksheets, video links and suggested activities and be ready to deliver engaging KS2 primary history to your children today!
Simply add to your basket, checkout and await your (FREE for UK) delivery.
Got any questions? Get in touch to talk through with us.
Price excludes VAT.