Young Geographers: EYFS Understanding the World
Understanding the World: The Early Years complete package is designed to support your children’s geography learning during their Foundation stage. They focus on the Understanding the World Area of Learning and underpin the key early years principles and will prepare your children for National Curriculum Geography at KS1.
You will have access to 5 unique units which cover:
- My Home
- My School
- Early Geography
- The Seaside
- Distant Places
Within each unit, links are made with other Areas of Learning in the Foundation Stage. The aim of the units is to ensure that the Foundation Stage Goals are an integral part with the Key Stage 1 & 2 Geography Key to The National Curriculum scheme.
The units have been developed for you by a group of experienced Early Years practitioners from a range of schools with our support.
For each unit you will receive a printed planning overview which includes full details on:
- The aim and projected outcomes
- Early learning goal objectives
- Adult led Introduction (teaching point)
- Environment Enhancement (during child led initiated learning)
- Key adult led tasks (during and initiated learning)
- Key Vocabulary
- Parent partnership ideas
And offers a whole host of guided learning activities such as:
- Key questions and discussions: for example: what is my school like? What is special about my school?
- Suggested exercises: Take the children on a walk around the school and the school grounds. Gather information about the number of trees or plants by collecting counters in containers using a range of colours
- Challenges: Literacy: e.g. Mark make/draw/write a postcard to someone imagining you are at the seaside.
- Relevant video clips to watch with your class: e.g. Mr Walker‘s Day at the Seaside
- Ask the parents to…. Prompts and discussion points to help embed learning at home for example: Talk at home about the distant places the children may have visited.
Which will help your children to…..
- Describe their immediate environment using knowledge from observation, discussion, stories, non-fiction texts and maps
- Explain some similarities and differences between life in this country and life in other countries, drawing on knowledge from stories, non-fiction texts and – when appropriate – maps.
- Explore the natural world around them - Know some similarities and differences between the natural world around them and contrasting environments, drawing on their experiences and what has been read in class;
- Understand the effect of the changing seasons on the natural world around them including the seasons and changing states of matter
These are just a few examples of what our EYFS package unlocks! Purchase today for just £59.99 +VAT to get access to 5 x laminated lesson overview plans for each unit plus a USB with Knowledge Organisers and an electronic copy of Fatou’s First Day book all of which conform with the Understanding the World Area of Learning National Curriculum requirements.
Ensure your early years children are prepared for their geography adventure at KS1 and KS2! Simply add to the cart, complete the order and await (FREE) delivery!
Please get in touch if you have any specific questions or want more information. We’d love to hear from you and help you introduce the exciting world of geography to your class.
Price excludes VAT.